Stephen Hawking Biography
Stephen Hawking Biography – Famous scientist Stephen Hawking has contributed a lot in the field of science. Stephen Hawking’s life was full of difficulties from the beginning, but still he fulfilled his dream of becoming a scientist and made innumerable contributions in the field of science. Due to his contribution, many such things were discovered which hardly anyone could have imagined before.
Stephen Hawking Family Details and Biography
|Life Introduction Point||Stephen Hawking Biography|
|Full Name||Stephen William Hawking|
|Place of Birth||Cambridge, England|
|Date of Birth||January 8, 1942|
|Date of Death||14 March 2018 (76 Years)|
|Place of Death||Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|Father Name||Frank Hawking|
|Mother Name||Isobel Hawking|
|Wife name||Jane Wilde(years 1965-1995),
Elaine Mason (Years 1995-2016)
|Net worth||$20 million|
Stephen Hawking Biography
Stephen Hawking was born in the country of England in 1942. At the time when Hawking was born, World War II was going on in the world. Stephen Hawking’s mother and father’s house used to be in North London. But due to this war, he had to change his house and he came to live in a safe place in London.
Stephen’s father worked as a medical researcher, whose name was Frank. At the same time, his mother’s name was Isobel and who worked as a secretary in the Medical Research Institute. Hawking’s parents met while working at the Medical Research Institute.
After which they got married and had a total of four children. Whose names were Stephen, Philippa, Mary and Edward. Edward was their adopted son.
Stephen Hawking Education
When Stephen was eight years old, his family moved to St. Albans, and Stephen was enrolled in a school here. After completing his schooling, Stephen joined the University of Oxford and studied physics here. At the time when he had enrolled in this university, at that time his age was only 17 years.
It is said that Stephen was interested in mathematics and wanted to pursue his studies in this subject. But at that time this subject was not used in Oxford University. Due to which he had to choose Physics subject.
After obtaining a first class degree in Physics, he did his further studies from the University of Cambridge. In 1962, he conducted research on cosmology in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physical (DAMTP) at the University of Cambridge.
Stephen Hawking Disease
Stephen Hawking was living his life like ordinary people but in the year 1963 his health started deteriorating.
Seeing the deteriorating condition of 21-year-old Stephen, his father took him to the hospital where he was examined and in the investigation it was found that Stephen has a disease called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
Due to this disease, the parts of the body gradually stop functioning and there is no cure for this disease. At the time when Stephen was diagnosed with this disease, he was doing his studies from the University of Cambridge.
But he did not let his illness come in the midst of his dreams. Despite being ill, he completed his studies and in the year 1965 he obtained his PhD degree. The title of his thesis in PhD was ‘Properties of Expanding Universe’.
Stephen Hawking Wife
The year Stephen came to know about his illness, he met his first wife, Jane Wilde. In this bad time of Hawking, Jane supported him and they got married in the year 1965. Jane and Hawking had a total of three children and their names are Robert, Lucy and Timothy.
This marriage of Hawking lasted for 30 years and in the year 1995, Jane and Hawking divorced. After getting divorced, Hawking married Elaine Mason and this marriage, which took place in the year 1995, lasted only till the year 2016.
Stephen Hawking Career
Even after completing his studies from Cambridge, Hawking remained associated with this college and he worked here as a researcher.
He served as an assistant researcher at DAMTP in 1972, and during this time he wrote his first academic book, The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time. After working here for some time, he was inducted into the Royal Society (Fellowship) in the year 1974.
After which he also worked as a Gravitational Physics Reader in DAMTP in the year 1975 and also served here as Professor of Gravitational Physics in 1977.
In view of his work, in 1979, he was appointed Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge, which is the most famous academic post in the world and he worked in this post till the year 2006.
Stephen Hawking Awards and Achievements
Professor Stephen Hawking holds a total of thirteen (13) honorary degrees. At the same time, many awards have also been given to him for his contribution and the information about the awards given to him so far is given below-
- In 1966, Stephen Hawking was given the Adams Prize. After this award, he received the Eddington Medal in the year 1975 and the Maxwell Medal and Prize in the year 1976.
- Heineman Prize was given to Hawking in the year 1976. After receiving this award, he was awarded another award in the year 1978 and the name of this award was Albert Einstein Medal.
- Hawking was also awarded the RAS Gold Medal in 1985 and the Dirac Medal of the Institute of Physical Sciences in 1987. After this, in 1988, this great scientist was also given the Wolf Prize.
- The Prince of Asturias Award was also won by Hawking in 1989. Shortly after receiving this award, he was also given the Andrew Gement Award (1998), Naylor Award and Lectureship (1999).
- The next award he received in 1999 was the Lilienfeld Prize and he was also given the Albert Medal by the Royal Society of Art in the same year.
- Apart from the above mentioned awards, he has also been given the Copley Medal (2006), Presidential Medal of Freedom (2009), Fundamental Physics Prize (2012) and BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award (2015).
Stephen Hawking Hawking Work and Discoveries
- Professor Stephen Hawking has done many researches on the basic law governing the universe. Hawking, along with his partner Roger Penrose, did a research and told the world that space and time began with the birth of the universe and would end within a black hole.
- Using Einstein’s Theory of Relativity and Quantum Theory, Hawking also determined that black holes are not completely silent but emit radiation.
- Apart from this, Hawking also proposed that there is no limit to the universe and with the help of science it can also be known when and how the universe started.
Stephen Hawking Books
Stephen Hawking has also written many books in his lifetime and his book has been written about space. Below we have given information about some of the books written by him-
- ‘A Brief History of Time’ – The name of the first book written by Hawking was ‘A Brief History of Time’. This book was based on the topic of Big Bang and Black Hole and published in the year 1988, this book is available in 40 languages.
- ‘The Universe in a Nutshell’ – This book was published in the year 2001 and this book written by Hawking got the Aventis Price of Science Books in the year 2002.
- “The Grand Design”- The book “The Grand Design” written by Hawking was published in the year 2010 and information related to space was also given in this book. This book also proved to be a very successful book.
- ‘Black Hole and Baby Universe’ – This book came in the year 1993 and this book was a reference to the essays and lectures written by Hawking related to black holes. Apart from this, Hawking also wrote a book for children. Whose name was “George and the Big Bang” and this book came in the year 2011.
- Alexander Graham Bell Biography
Stephen Hawking Quotes
- Life would be unfortunate if it was not full of strange and interesting things.
- If you are always angry and keep on cursing then no one will have time for you
- The goal of my life is very simple and this goal is to understand this universe and find out why it is like this and why it is there.
- Ignorance is not the enemy, while the enemy is the illusion that says you know everything.
Movie On Stephen Hawking’s Life
In the year 2014, a movie was made on them, named “The Theory of Everything”. In this film, the struggle of his life was shown and it was told how he had fulfilled his dreams.
Stephen Hawking Net Worth
Stephen Hawking has a house of his own in the city of Cambridge, England and he currently has a net worth of $ 20 million. He has earned this wealth through his work, awards and books.
Stephen Hawking dies (Death Reason) at aged 76
Hawking had been ill for a long time. Due to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis disease, he has spent almost 53 years of his life on a wheel chair. At the same time, on March 14, this great scientist took his last breath in England and bid farewell to this world. But the contributions made by him in science will never be forgotten.